Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Notable Artist // Frida Kahlo

Frida Kahlo de Rivera (1907-1954) was a Mexican painter best known for her self-portraits. I'd vaguely heard of Kahlo before, and until I had a better insight into her life I wasn't able to fully appreciate her beautifully tragic paintings. She must have had to endured a severe amount of physical and emotional pain in order to create such paintings.

Themes of extreme emotional pain and passion were more often than not evoked through her works, but her unequivocal, carefree nature was such an inspiration to me. It takes a great deal of courage to transform personal pains into art, and has always been an admirable trait in my eyes. Though she remained unaware of the fact that anyone could relate to the chaotic thoughts and feelings aroused in her paintings, it is these artists who have such a powerful impact on others. The movie based on her lifeFrida, is an inspirational and intimate look into the beautifully tormented story and I would recommend it to anyone interested in learning more about her.

_____________________
a few of Kahlo's quotes:

“I used to think I was the strangest person in the world but then I thought there are so many people in the world, there must be someone just like me who feels bizarre and flawed in the same ways I do. I would imagine her, and imagine that she must be out there thinking of me too. Well, I hope that if you are out there and read this and know that, yes, it’s true I’m here, and I’m just as strange as you.”

“I paint my own reality. The only thing I know is that I paint because I need to, and I paint whatever passes through my head without any other consideration.”

“I tried to drown my sorrows, but the bastards learned how to swim, and now I am overwhelmed by this decent and good feeling.”

No comments:

Post a Comment